We are at two months, and it has flown by! We started getting more sleep this month with Ben giving us 6 to 7 hour stretches at night. Both Trace and Ben get baths at 6:30 p.m. Ben then gets his nighttime bottle at 7:00 p.m., is rocked down, and by 8:00 p.m. is sleeping in his bassinet. He will usually wake for a night feeding between 2:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. and is back down within 20-minutes. The night time sleep feels amazing! We followed the newborn schedule in this book, and it really helped us survive (and sleep) these first few weeks.
Ben is our little chunky monkey and weighed 12 pounds 10 ounces at his two month appointment! He still has a ton of rolls with his thighs getting bigger! I love pinching those little rolls! We are still going strong with breastfeeding, and he is still a great nurser. Around two weeks, we introduced Ben to the bottle so Charles could do a feeding and I could get a little extra sleep. This month we moved Ben’s bedtime feeding to an earlier time, and Trace now gets to help with Ben’s bottle. He loves to hold the bottle and to burp Ben.
The best thing Ben did this month was start smiling! He will look at you, flash that gummy smile, and starting cooing away. Those smiles and coos bring so much joy, especially on those tired, long days. Here’s more of my favorite memories this month:
TWO MONTH MEMORIES
- Trace LOVES to wake up Ben in the mornings and from his naps. Trace usually wakes up between 6:00 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. and his first words are usually “Daddy” followed by “Ben awake”. At 7:00 a.m. we let Trace run to Ben’s bassinet, unswaddle him, and wake Ben up, which is usually followed by “Ben awake Mommy, Ben awake!”.
- My favorite Trace & Ben moment this month was watching Trace rub Ben’s ears. The way that Trace self soothes is rubbing an ear. He will rub his ear, my ear, Charles’ ear. That is Trace’s way of soothing and feeling comfortable. One morning while Ben was sitting in his bouncy seat, Trace went over to his seat, sat down beside Ben, and began rubbing his ear as they were watching TV. It was the cutest thing, and I felt like Ben got initiated into the family with Trace’s ear rub!
- Ben HATES his car seat. Anytime I run errands with Ben and the car stops moving, he cries. Trace HATES when Ben cries in the car. On our last grocery pick up, Trace turned to me before I put Ben in the car and asked if Ben could stay home. When I asked why, he said “Ben cries”. I am hoping Ben gets more comfortable in his car seat soon.
- Ben LOVES to be burped while sitting on your lap with your hand across his chest.
- We dropped the traditional swaddle and moved to this one and this one.
- I put away the 0-3 month clothing and pulled out the 3-6 month clothing.
- Charles is working from home again a few days a week, which is really beneficial for our family. We gain an extra hour with him that he would usually spend traveling between work and home. Trace loves having daddy home because daddy gets to tuck him in tight-tight for his lunchtime nap.
- Ben is sleeping in his crib for naps and his bassinet for nighttime. I have feeling by next month we will be moving him to his crib for nights.
- Ben LOVES the ceiling fan and also his teddy bear mobile, which can entertain him for the longest periods.
- Ben actually likes bath time now. We started bathing both Trace and Ben at the same time at night. Trace gets to fill Ben’s baby tub and then gets to show Ben how to take a big boy bath, which he loves to do. The last few months, we started to struggle with Trace and bath time. He learned the word “no” and did not want to take bath or get out of the tub or pick up his toys. Now that he gets to “teach” Ben how to take a big boy bath, it is a lot easier to manage… most nights 🙂
- I learned this month that Trace does not like to share his favorite books with Ben. We have “Trace books” and “Ben books”. At first I was really pushing Trace to share, but I realized it was only his favorite books like this one and this one. So, I have started to ask him which books he would like to read to Ben, and I make sure to save Trace’s favorite books for when I am reading to just him. This seems to be working for us, so I am going to go with it!
- I was cleared to exercise this month. As much as I would like to make exercise a priority, I am learning it will have to happen with at least one child. So, I ordered a double stroller to start walking. I also got creative and searched toddler workouts, which led to me finding the “baby shark workout”. It is a workout for children, and I thought if I could get Trace entertained I could squeeze in stretches as well. Trace loves the workout, which means he loves to watch me do it (and not himself – haha!). I am still figuring this one out!
- Trace spends Saturday mornings at the park as a reward for an “accident free” week. When we brought Ben home, Trace started to regress with his potty training. So, we spent a few days retraining him. Now if Trace has a good week, he gets a park day, which he enjoys! It also gives Charles and I the opportunity to spend some one-on-one time with him.